At the first hint of severe weather, the Illuminating Company activates a storm response plan which often includes securing additional resources from sister utilities and contractors so that they can deploy them to the hardest-hit areas, if necessary.
The impact of severe weather remains unclear until it hits the region, and utility workers are ready to roll if it does cause outages. In addition to having around-the-clock, all-hands-on-deck coverage during severe weather, FirstEnergy’s utilities in Ohio – including the Illuminating Company – have additional resources on standby to assist line crews with any potential outages that might occur.
We encourage residents to prepare, too:
- Customers can subscribe to email and text message alert notifications to receive weather alerts in advance of major storms. They can also use two-way text messaging to report outages, request updates on restoration efforts, and make other inquiries about their electric accounts. More information about these communications tools is available online at www.firstenergycorp.com/connect.
- Check out our real-time outage page for the most up-to-date information on your outage, including causes, estimated restoration times and crew status.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer closed to preserve food for as long as possible. Consider purchasing bags of ice and placing them inside to help save perishable food.
- Consider keeping an emergency kit handy with items such as a flashlight, first-aid kit, extra batteries, bottled water, cell phone and car charger and a battery-powered radio.
- Turn off or unplug sensitive electrical devices to safeguard them from power surges that may occur during the restoration process. Leave an incandescent light on so you know when the power comes back.
- NEVER OPERATE A GENERATOR INSIDE YOUR HOME. Exhaust from backup generators contain a high level of carbon monoxide (CO) gas, which can be dangerous or even fatal if inhaled.
- Do not use candles around pets or small children and never leave burning candles unattended.
- In the event of a power outage, customers should report it to us by calling 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) or clicking the “Report Outage” link on www.firstenergycorp.com. Customer reported outages help us pinpoint the damage locations, which can help speed restoration.